Monday, April 22, 2013

Laryngitis: A Teacher's Take


Overview:

Laryngitis is one of the most common conditions identified in the larynx. Laryngitis, as its name implies, is an inflammation of the larynx. Symptoms of laryngitis can include some or all of the following:
  • Hoarseness
  • Weak voice or voice loss
  • Tickling sensation and rawness of your throat
  • Sore throat
  • Dry throat
  • Dry cough

It comes in both acute and chronic forms. Acute laryngitis has an abrupt onset and is usually self-limited. The causes of acute laryngitis include vocal misuse, exposure to noxious agents, or infectious agents leading to upper respiratory tract infections. These infectious agents are most often viral, however they can also be bacterial in nature. Chronic laryngitis takes longer to develop and involves a longer duration of symptoms. Chronic laryngitis may be caused by environmental factors such as cigarette smoke, polluted air, irritation from asthma inhalers, reflux disease, or vocal misuseVocal misuse causes the vocal folds to come together with excessive force, and this friction causes swelling.
Although acute laryngitis is usually not a result of vocal abuse, vocal abuse is often a result of acute laryngitis because the underlying infection or inflammation results in a hoarse voice. Typically, the patient exacerbates this by misusing their voice in an attempt to maintain premorbid phonating ability.
The following are recommended home remedies for the symptoms associated with laryngitis:
  • Inhaling humidified air promotes moisture of the upper airway, helping to clear secretions and exudate, e.g., from a cool mist humidifier
  • Complete voice rest is suggested, although this recommendation is nearly impossible to follow. If the patient must speak, soft sighing phonation is best. Avoidance of whispering is best, as whispering promotes hyper-functioning of the larynx.
  • Inhaling steam, e.g., from a hot bath or shower

Laryngitis in Schools:

An ATL survey, conducted in March, 2008, surveyed 490 teachers working in maintained and independent schools in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Overall 60% of the respondents had experienced voice problems, with 68%of teachers working in maintained schools experiencing voice problems compared to 57% in independent schools.
However, 42% of the teachers who had experienced voice problems shared that their school had offered "little or no support" when problems occurred. 20% said that their school had shown them no support, and an additional 22% had found their school to be quite unsupportive.

A Teacher's Take:

Caren Sowa is a first grade teacher at Carver Elementary School in Carver Massachusetts. Here is a guest blog with her perspective on the condition:

Every December, like clockwork, I find myself with an upper respiratory infection. Within days, I am battling laryngitis as well, with a sore throat and an increasingly hoarse voice. Eventually my voice will turn from hoarse to completely gone. As a first grade teacher of 25+ loud, enthusiastic, and energetic students, this is always an issue as I use my voice for hours each day.

My school was built in the 1950s, when "pod-style" schools were popular. Without permanent walls, classrooms could be combined and co-taught as necessary. While that style of teaching may have been effective at the time, we are no longer collaborating and co-teaching. The once-flexible design is now a hinderance as we are constantly battling background noise from neighboring classrooms and the noise from children and staff in the hallways. I have done my best to insulate my classroom with rugs, curtains, and tall bookshelves where a wall does not exist. However, the heightened sound level affects my speaking style every moment I am teaching.

Our school curriculum uses center-based activities for many of our subjects. My already-noisy classroom turns into an even louder environment at this time, as my students collaborate with their classmates at several different stations around the classroom. When it is time to alert them to switch, I am using my voice to project over this noise. This is just one example of the strain I put my voice through. While I have been told by my physician that my laryngitis is caused by my upper respiratory infections and not the vocal strain, I am also aware that how I use my voice while I have laryngitis does not make matters better. 

For the first couple of times I had laryngitis, I did my best to battle it, and used my loudest, whisper of a voice possible. Eventually I adopted a few tricks that may be helpful to other teachers (or those of other occupations who rely on their voice). Here are a few of them:
  • Use bells, timers, or other mechanisms to get your students' attention
  • Keep hydrated- I make sure to drink extra water at this time, but also prefer tea
  • Use a humidifier at home- I have one in my home office and bedroom, and have started using them as soon as the weather gets cold and dry
  • Come up with clever, reward based systems to get your students to help you- I usually promote a helper at the end of each day (based on behavior or other factors) who will help me the following day. I will sometimes give this student directions to dictate to the class. (It can also be a fun way to incorporate reading if you are a first grade teacher... try writing out simple directions on a small dry erase board for them to read to the class!)
  • Keep classroom noise as low as possible so that you do not have to strain your voice even more to talk
My best piece of advice is to take some time to recover and get well. The vocal rest will aid in your throat's recover, and the time off will help with the underlying ailment that caused the laryngitis in the first place. My second piece of advice is to advantage of your resources right in your building, and talk to your speech and language pathologist. They are trained to deal with voice problems such as this and can give you more great advice on how to implement strategies to deal with your laryngitis when it arises. They may also help with vocal preservation, or learning to use your voice appropriately to prevent general vocal abuse.

4 comments:

  1. That's a very informative article. Thanks for sharing such useful information. Keep up the good work. I have found some interesting information on hoarseness treatment in Kolkata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) when I was 46 years old 2 years ago. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help. The medical team did even less. My decline was rapid and devastating. my arms weakened first, then my hands and legs. Last year, a family friend told me about DOCTOR JAMES Herbal mix medicine and his effectiveness in treating l ALS , I contacted him. and ordered for his herbal mix medicine, i was happy to report the treatment effectively treated and reversed my Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), most of the symptoms stopped, i was able to walk and eat well, sleep well and exercise regularly., i'm pretty active now and my attitude is extremely positive.i joyfully recommend you to DR.JAMES because health is wealth this is a very bad experience with those living with ALS or any other diseases like Shingle,schizophrenia,Bipolar,Stroke, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes please do not hesitate to contact him on his Email Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment  i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete